RV Storage Stairs Helps Clear up some of the Clutter
While tearing out the RV carpeting to replace it with Allure vinyl flooring I discovered how poorly built the original stairs were.
The carpet itself was used as part of the structure! With it gone, the remaining stair structure left little to work with. I'd planned on simply removing the treads and install hinged lids to create the storage space... but there'd be no frame or structure left to hinge anything off of.
So... being used to engineering on the fly, I gathered up the materials; Baltic Birch plywood, Brass Hinges, a hasp, and 1" thick, oak treads, to build solid, attractive, RV storage stairs.
They'll be built in the form of two 'boxes'.
The first and largest of the boxes will be used for Dog Food Storage. One of our dogs, Buck, is afflicted with an insatiable hunger :-) ... he's taken to breaking in to any 'unprotected' food storage and eating his fill... so, constantly moving the plastic storage box to a safe location every time we leave the rig, without the dogs, has become an irritating routine... lest he tear off the plastic lid!
The second and smaller of the RV storage stairs is to be used for shoes... much better to my mind than putting dirty shoes in the limited closet space... or cluttering up the bedroom floor.
Of course, as seen in previous pages, doing the remodeling demolition work was the first task. The orginal, carpeted RV stairs had to be uncovered.
That danged Ol' Murphy fella really gets under my skin on occasion... I can hear that saucy lil' Irishman laughin' now!
Well Ha! Your pathetic lil' pranks have to get a lot more athletic than that ya grubber! I'll just put a 'notch' in that rear box, to fit around the RV Heater Duct work. Ha!
With measurements in hand I went to cuttin' wood... gluing and finish nailing... and came up with this first box of my new RV storage stairs;
... If they come apart... it's because somebody drove a Buick through the door!
Standing there looking at how big that partially complete box was... it seemed like a shiny idea... so 'change order' #2! :-)
The result is shown in this view of the installed RV Stairs;
I had to decide how to set the hinges. They could either be simply screwed to the tread and to the back of the stair... like on the right side here... or mortised in... as on the left...
Well... the mortised in option is obviously the better looking... so I had to cut those Mortises...
Had to wait a couple more days for the time to build and install the second of the RV Storage Stairs... But, the work got done... and now that wasted space of the original RV stairs is utilized with our brand new RV Storage Stairs.